Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My 2-year old has round lump on the left side of his neck ...

My 2-year old has round lump on the left side of his neck under his ear. I thought it might go away, but it been there for a couple of weeks, and is getting larger. He has no other symptoms. My worst fear is cancer, so tell me what else it could be. Otherwise, I won't sleep tonight. We're going to the vet tomorrow!!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 9 years ago.

Is the lump hard or soft?

Does it seem to be attached or just under the skin?

Joan

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I think it's just under the skin. I am extremely paranoid since I lost my father to lymphoma. Of course that is the first thought that runs through my mind. It's kind of hard.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Oh...no other symptoms. Just the lump.   Chico is not yet neutered.
Expert:  Joan replied 9 years ago.

Dogs are prone to all types of lumps and bumps. I understand your fear and will try to tell you what may be happening. Dogs can get Lipomas which are benign fatty type tumors very common and can very well be what you are seeing. They are usually right under the skin and not attached. The lymph nodes are also in that area which can indicate an infection somewhere in the body, it may be a sebaceous cyst, which is a cyst that lies below the skin. Sebaceous cysts, are also called epidermal inclusion cysts and infundibular cysts, are pretty common in dogs. There are other cysts that are very common in dogs like a sweat gland cyst. There are many other types of problems that can cause the type of lump you have described. The Vet will do a needle biopsy and be able to tell you exactly what is going on. Joan

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/lumps.html