Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

My German Shepherd dog has an ulcer on his bottom. It ...

My German Shepherd dog has an ulcer on his bottom. It was first thought this could be the start of anal furunculosis but after a few weeks of antibiotics this has not cleared and it is possible another one is forming and it looks as though he is also licking at the side of the anus. I don''t know whether this could be an abcess of not?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 9 years ago.
Hi Leon,
Did the veterinarian check to see if his anal glands are full?
Can you describe to me exactly what the ulcer looks like? Is it raised from the surface of the skin at all, like a small tumor,....or is it flush with the level of the skin?
Is there any discharge from it?
Is there a foul odor emanating from the area?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post:

I am typing this again ( I may have put this in the wrong place). Leo may be getting better since he has had about 40 of the cefseptim and metonidazole antibiotics. The ulcer was slightly raised and a lighter colour than the skin of the anus and it did appear to be slightly open, although there was nothing coming from it. It did not have an odour and the vet did clear his anal glands initially, when I took him with this complaint.

Expert:  Dr. K replied 9 years ago.
What you are describing sounds alot like an impacted anal gland. These are sacs that are located just inside the anus at 4 and 8 o-clock. They secrete a fluid that is normally released upon the animal's bowel movement. In some animals, the outflow of these sacs becomes obstructed and they become swollen and uncomfortable. The vet can evaluate if they are too full on a physical examination of your pet, and can manually express them to relieve the pressure. In some cases, if they cannot be expressed, the animal must be sedated and have the openings of the anal sac ducts cannulated and flushed with saline to allow for proper flow outward of the anal fluid. In other cases, the sacs can become infected and result in an abscess that must be opened up to drain through the skin. These cases are also treated with oral and topical antibiotics. Animals that are having inflammation from problems with these glands, will often lick at the area, which can cause a fishy smell to their breath.

Here are a couple of links to some websites that show good pictures of this, and explain it further:

http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

Because your dog is getting better with the antibiotics, this was most likely an abscessd, impacted anal gland. Just be advised that many dogs who have this problem once, will have it repeatedly throughout their lives.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K