Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My german shepherd breathes very heavy when resting or ...

Customer Question

My german shepherd breathes very heavy when resting or sleeping! Heart is usually racing (most of the time) when he wakes he sometimes coughs! What should my concerns be ??? Also he is very agressive towards other dogs in my house! He is around 1 years old! I adopted him a few days ago! What training will I need him to do in order to just ignore other dogs or get along?? Many thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. KB replied 9 years ago.

What is his respiratory rate per minute?

Heart rate per minute?

Is he heartworm negative?

Do you keep him separate from the other dogs?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi DR. B

His heart rate I am not to sure
Of also his resp rate same anwser - but what I can tell you is that his heartworm test came back negative! Also he sometimes is around my other dogs - but not a lot! His attitude is very agressive and he is VERY territorial... He is mainly kept in another room with me or I swap out with the dogs so they get the even amount of attention! ( He might be not to sure breathing about 60 breaths per second) this in fact iknow is not good! BUT this only happens at night! Never during the day. I also do not know how fast his heart should be in general or if it differs during the day and night! His heart at night sometimes feels like it wants to escape his chest cavity.

Hope that this extra info helps you! And the info I gave in the first email!

Many thanks

Chris Galinos
Expert:  Dr. KB replied 9 years ago.

To get pulse, feel inside of his back leg up near his groin. Count beats for 15 seconds and then multiply by 4. I would not expect to see a big dog's over 60 even if excited.

Respiration should not be over, say, 30ish, except if panting.

Is he neutered?