Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My cat keeps sneezing alot and her eyes are tearing. Can I ...

Customer Question
My cat keeps sneezing alot...
My cat keeps sneezing alot and her eyes are tearing. Can I give her a small piece of tylenol to make her comfortable. Is there any thing else I can give her?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dog
1/6/2008
Dog Specialist: Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert replied 10 years ago
Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert

No do not give her tyenol. It is toxic to cats.

All cats carry upper respiratory virus on their own fur. Cats that live together become immune to the carried strain but as soon as the bacterium is exposed to another cat it will infect them. If this baby was exposed to other cats she likely contracted it from them or stress.

Feed her very odorous food so she can smell it and will keep eating. If she gets dehydrated, as a result of producing mucus.Give her a few droppers of unflavored pedialyte througout the day to hydrate her and balance her electrolytes.

She can have an OTC called clortrimeton - a quarter tablet every 12 hours if she is congested. You can also take her in a steamy bathroom where you have run a hot shower to break it up.For the eyes get Terramycin ointment. some pet supplies have it but call first or order from http://www.revivalanimal.com/

If she developes any colored mucus that means the infection has turned bacterial and will respond to an antibiotic.Some vets script one even if it is viral to prevent secondary infections like pneumonia.

Please let me know how she is feeling. If you get worried I will always be here to help further.

I hope she feels better very soon.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Hi Terri,
Thank you for your informative and thoughtful reply. Terri, I have been watching my cat today closely and I am not sure of what she is doing. It looks like she is sneezing but it is almost not a sneeze. She make this incomplete sneezing motion about ten or twelve times in a row. I can see her sides toward the back moving in and out. I saw some saliva or mucous coming out of her mouth once today. She is not eating well. I starting giving her soft food yesterday and she ate about half of it but not today. Yesterday she did drink alot of water. Today not too much.
I also want to let you know that she had two surgeries recently for tumors coming out of her back side (two months ago) and two weeks ago they removed a tumor on her foot. All benign. I am running out of funds and I am very grateful for any information you can provide. Right now it's this sneezing or something that she is doing that is worrying me. Please let me know if this is a normal cat type sneezing. My cat was never been sick before so I am not sure of what she may have. Also, please let me know after explaining the above if I should try all that you suggested.
Thank you for all your help. It's wonderful.
Liza

Hi Liza,

Any surgery weakens the immune system Your baby may have an upper respiratory or sinus infection or an abscessed tooth

The only human OC that she ca have is chloretrimeton - a quarter tablet every 12 hours.

It is really imporatant for her to eat - canned, tuna. baby food, etc. Give her plin pedialye by dropper to keep her hydrated.

Here are agencies that will help with bills:

American Animal Hospital Association
http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/home
" Through the AAHA Helping Pets Fund, veterinary care is possible for sick or injured pets even if they have been abandoned or if their owner is experiencing financial hardship."

Angels 4 Animals
http://www.angels4animals.org/
"Our services range from financial aid to complete treatment
to those pets and pet owners in need."

Care Credit
http://www.carecredit.com/
A credit card company for health care, including veterinary care.
"With a comprehensive range of plan options, for
treatment or procedure fees from $1 to over $25,000, we offer a plan
and a low monthly payment to fit comfortably into almost every
budget."

Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance (FVEAP)
http://www.fveap.org/sys-tmpl/door/
"Seniors, People with disabilities, People who
have lost their job, Good Samaritans who rescue a cat or kitten - any of these folks may need financial assistance to save a beloved companion."

The Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance Prog ram is a nonprofit 501
(c)(3) organization that provides financial assistance to cat and
kitten guardians who are unable to afford veterinary services to save
their companions when life-threatening illness or injury strikes.

God's Creatures Ministry
http://www.all-creatures.org/gcm/help-cf.html
"This fund helps pay for veterinarian bills for those who need help."

Help-A-Pet
http://www.help-a-pet.org/home.html
"Our efforts focus on serving the elderly, the disabled, and the
working poor."

IMOM
http://www.imom.org/
"We are dedicated to insure that no
companion animal has to be euthanized simply because their caretaker
is financially challenged."

The Pet Fund
http://thepetfund.com/
"The Pet Fund is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit association that
provides financial assistance to owners of domestic animals who need
urgent veterinary care."

If you have more questions I will always be here for you.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Hi Terri,
I don't know what to say or how to thank you for your kindness and for giving me a better idea of what I can do to help my baby. I will follow your advice and instructions. Also, with great appreciation, thank you for the list of agencies that I can turn to for help and assistance. I certainly will recommend your site to other and I will bookmark it for any other questions I may have along the way.
Thank you for giving me some piece of mind.
Sincerely, Liza
Terri Riba
Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert