Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

my female dog has a bloody mucus discharge and when she is ...

my female dog has a bloody mucus discharge and when she is laying down she shakes. She is 6 years old and not fixed.

Is this a vaginal discharge?

Joan

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jav917's Post: YES, SHE WAS IN HEAT ABOUT A MONTH AGO. THE DISCHARGE IS MORE MUCUSY THAN WHEN SHE IS IN HEAT. HER HEAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN OVER ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO. WE THOUGHT THAT MAYBE HER HEAT WAS LASTING LONGER, HOWEVER THE DISCHARGE SEEMS ABNORMAL. WHEN SHE IS LAYING DOWN SHE SHAKES, ALMOST AS IF SHE IS COLD. NOT SURE WHAT TO DO SINCE IT IS SATURDAY.

This sounds like a Uterine infection called a Pyometra which is caused by an unfinished heat cycle usually in an older dog. It is an infection of the Uterus that will need to be addressed by the Vet with antibiotics as well as surgical removal of the uterus and ovaries. It is imperative that the infected uterine contents do not spill and that no excess hemorrhage occurs. I would have your girl to the Vet ASAP to get her some help. Joan

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_pyometra.html