Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 16 week old puppy (rottweiler and coonhound mix) ...

Customer Question
My 16 week old puppy...
My 16 week old puppy (rottweiler and coonhound mix) got sick last week, vomited twice, was very lethargic for one day and had one runny bowl movement the next morning. Since then everything is fine except he dry heaves all the time, mostly when he wakes up, but also throughout the day. Please help!
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dog
10/30/2007
Dog Specialist: NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care replied 10 years ago
NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
I'd suspect he may have swallowed a non food item that is not passing out of his stomach or through his system.
It could also be he has an intestinal parasite such as worms, coccidia, or giardia bothering him.
If you think any toys or parts of toys or a bone etc might have been swallowed, or if you have seen him eating dirt or rocks or sticks in the yard then you might want a vet to check him and perhaps do an x-ray to see what is there.
You could also have a vet check a stool sample to see if meds to clear parasites are needed.
Hope this helps you!
NancyH
NancyH