Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has Loose Green Stool

Customer Question
I have a 2 year...
I have a 2 year old female I got from a shelter and she's had loose stool since we've got her. She as mild seperation anxiety. Her stool is more firm on the weekends when we're home and then soft and green again during the week. What causes my dog to have loose green stool?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dog
10/7/2007
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 10 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

HiCustomer/p>

How long have you had this dog ?

Have you had a stool sample checked by your vet?

What is her normal diet? Does she get any treats? Is there anything different about her diet during the weekend compared to during the week? Does she get more treats at a particular time? Does she get any human food?

Are her stools formed such that you can pick them up on the weekend? Are they a different color on the weekend?

Any other symptoms - vomiting, weight loss, change in water consumption, attitude change?

I have had her for 2 months now and she's always had loose stool. I did have a stool sample done and it came back negative for worms. I pick her stool up every day. She has no vomiting or weightloss. I weigh her once a week and she actually gained some weight since we've gotten her. She doesn't eat grass and she eats normal, normal water consumption and gets exercise every day at a dog park. Her attitude is normal, playful. I giver her Eukanuba natural mixed with nutro Chick, rice and oatmeal for adult dogs. I giver her bully sticks which takes her about two to three days to consume all of it. I stopped giving her rawhides and greenes two weeks ago. Treats are not alot and she gets no table scraps at all. I giver plain yogurt in the morning and a night for a treat. I haven't changed anything for a week now.

HiCustomer-

Thanks for the additional information. It is good that she is feeling well, playful, and has not had any weight loss. It sounds like she has found a really great new home! It is also good that you have had a stool sample checked for parasites. If that test was done right after you got her from the shelter, it may be worthwhile to have this rechecked, because of the timing of the life cycles of different parasites so if she had gotten something at the shelter, it may not have shown up immediately. Be sure your vet knows about this problem with her stool, so they can do a direct smear of the stool as well to check for things like Giardia (protozoal parasite) and different types of abnormal bacteria as well as the common intestinal parasites that we normally look for.

The green color in stool generally comes from an increase in bile secretion from the liver. It does not mean something specific or worrisome, but that is just the source of the color.

If you are seeing normal formed stool initially and a little bit of loose stool at the end of a bowel movement, we would consider that normal and nothing to worry about. If you are seeing more pudding consistency stool, then we need to be doing something different.

The first thing I would try would be put her on a bland diet consisting of boiled chicken and rice and make that the absolutely only thing she eats (no yogurt and no bully stick) for about 72 hours and see what that does to her stool. If her stool normalizes on this, then gradually start mixing in her regular food over the next 3 to 5 days to see if that has any effect on her stool. The idea here is to reintroduce things one at a time and slowly so we can try to pinpoint which of these things may be contributing to the problem. If the stools are normal when she is completely back on her normal diet, then start again with the yogurt and watch for a few days. If still okay, then add back the bully stick to see what happens.

If you cannot get her stools normal when she is on the chicken and rice only, then there is something going on inside her gastrointestinal tract, and I would have her checked out by your vet. It could be that she just has an over growth of certain types of intestinal bacteria and may need some simple medications to get this problem resolved, or it is possible (although less likely) that there is something more serious going on.

I hope this answers your question. If so, please click Accept. If you need more information, please let me know.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian