NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

Bloodhound: 13 weeks..weeks old

My Bloodhound puppy 13 weeks old her occipital protuberance peak is huge its large it looks terrible is something wrong with her or will she out grow it. Its 5 times bigger than any thing i have seen.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
I'm trying to picture if you mean the ridge down the center of the skull or the protuberance off the back of the skull?
Is the area soft or hard?
When you say you have checked others in the breed do you mean at this age?
Have you seen any of her littermates?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Other littermates are fine. It feels hard its the kot that Bloodhounds have on the top of there heads most are small hers is huge it looks real bad. The knot is locater right in the middle of the skull.Thank You
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
This might be a cyst which does happen in some pups.
There are a couple of different kinds that can occur in the head area.
Or it might just be she is going to have a big head.
You can see in the dog skull here the usual anatomy of the head
http://personal.kyoht.com/Hobbies/scavenge/dog2.jpg
and here is another one
http://www.ufos-aliens.co.uk/chupa/dogskull1.jpg
You may just be seeing a line up of genes making this pup's head not quite like it should be.
I would suggest having a vet check the dog and perhaps consider doing an x-ray if you need to be sure all is right with her head.
But you may find she hasn't got quite the right hound head when she matures - could look a bit more like a mastiff or another breed.