Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My five year old cocker is whimpering, shivering and whines ...

Customer Question
My five year old cocker...
My five year old cocker is whimpering, shivering and whines when lifted to my bed where she usually loves to sleep. Two nights ago, she stopped hopping up onto the bed, leaving me to think she hurt her leg. She allows gentle massage on her hips and tummy, will enjoy walks, but has difficulty in eliminating and when able, the stool is soft and small, no blood, however. She seeks out cooler places at times to lay down whenever she is comfortable enough to settle down. She is restless. It is Sunday, and I don't have a lot of money to get her to a vet today. Weekdays are less expensive. I don't want her to get any worse and am wondering if there is something I can do to make her more comfortable till she can see a vet tomorrow. I am guessing she has a gastrointestinal problem although she does not let out any gas and her tummy is not hard. I have not notice her eating her food but will eat human food if offered. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dog
9/16/2007
Dog Specialist: Tammy F., Not an active Expert replied 10 years ago
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert

I would be most concerned that you're seeing an injury. Spinal injuries, hip problems, luxating patellas and torn cranial cruciates are all common in this breed.

Dogs cannot take ibuprofen, tylenol, aleve or motrin but some aspirin may be ok.

You can read about the precautions and get dosage information here:

http://www.school-for-champions.com/animalhealth/aspirin.htm

But there are other medications that are much better for pain so only make this a temporary solution.

Let me know if you need more help.

Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Just took her for a good walk. Her stool is loose and gel-like. She feels especially warm and will walk then sit, then walk and sit when not on the walk. Her back end seems to curve like a dog tucking her tail under. She whimpers as she goes up a step or two. Normally there are no more than two steps she is required to encounter when going in or out. If any injury has occured, I do not know how, but she is left alone in the house. She has always been very good at not going down the steps to the basement. She likes to chase the cats, however.

Any time that a dog has loose stools, you have to look for a cause of the stomach upset. It might be as simple as them having stolen something from the trash. I would want to keep a close eye on it and see your vet if the diarrhea persists or there is little improvement.

Keep in mind that when dogs get diarrhea, their anal glands fail to empty as they should. So, this can cause pain around the tail. If this is the case, your vet can express the glands and give her some relief.

If you like, you can put her on a bland diet like boiled chicken and white rice. This helps to settle the stomach and firm up the stools.

Let me know if you want to discuss this more.

Tammy F.
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert