Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

how do i draw blood from a dog

Customer Question
I am preparing to bring...
I am preparing to bring a sample for a Progesterone test.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dog
9/13/2007
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 10 years ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

Are you a Vet Tech?

Do you have any experience with blood draws on animals?

Will the Vet do the draw for you?

Do have the tube with the anticoagulant?

What size guage needle are you planning on using?

Joan Jav917

I was trained as a vet tech 20 years ago. I did not stay in the industry very long. I am now working for a Breeder who would like for me to do blood draws on her Bulldogs so I can take the sample to the vet for testing. The only syringes she has do not contain anticoagulants but she is willing to purchase them.
Did you get my response? Sorry, I am new at this?

The Syringes do not contain the anticoagulants, but the test tubes in which you put the blood should have it. You will need to either get the tubes from the lab or the Vet. Depending on the size of the Bullies, you will need to have different gage needles as well as syringes. The draw is not hard, but you will need know how to get the vein and not infiltrate it. I would try to speak to the Vet before this undertaking and get some refresher courses on the blood draw. If you do something wrong you may cost the breeder an expensive dog. I in good conscience tell you on how to do the draw, without you seeing the proper procedure and being there in person. If it was giving a subcutaneous injection, I would be happy to give instruction, but in this situation, It would be unethical for me to give you instruction and take a chance in the animal being hurt. If you like I can opt out of this question and leave it open for another expert who may want to explain the procedure. Respectfully, XXXXX XXXXX

I, like you, do not want to jeopardize the health of any animal. I am actually bringing the dog to the vet tomorrow to have him show me how to do the blood draw. However, as you know, many vets these days are very busy and I dont want to miss a thing of feel as if I am being rushed. If you could walk me through it, and then I can see it done tomorrow, that would be very helpful! Please be assured that I AM going to the vet tomorrow. I am just as concerned as I do not want to lacerate a vein. Thank you!

Even with you going to the Vet tomorrow I will have to say I cannot help you with this. I will opt out and leave the question for another expert who may feel more comfortable in helping you. I appreciate you giving me a chance to answer your question. respectfully, XXXXX XXXXX

I understand. Can you at least suggest the proper gauge needle for a Bullie?
Dog Specialist: NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care replied 10 years ago
NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
As the sample is for a progesterone test you will want to do a typical draw from a forelimb - this is tricker to do if you are alone and its usually best to have someone pinch the vein off for you and hold the dog.
This site shows pictures of a couple of steps of a blood draw
http://www.thepetcenter.com/pha/cp.html
This site explains why doing it wrong can be a big issue
http://www.dogdomain.com/vetBBT.htm
You really are not saving much if the vet has to spin the blood down anyhow for the testing unless you have your own centrifuge and plan to do the whole test in house.
Risks are you could blow a vein cause bleeding etc.
My vet normally uses a very fine guage needle for any blood draw - it does less damage to the vein and the hole seals off better afterwards. It may take a little longer to get the blood sample but its also less painful for the dog.
When you see the vet find out what they would charge for doing the draw - many places don't charge much for just that. Or see if a local vet tech would come in and give you some one on one training to do this properly.
Its one of those things that is best taught in person and hands on - and if you've ever had your own blood drawn you know the skill of the person doing it counts a lot!
Hope this helps you!
NancyH
NancyH
NancyH