Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

can a dog who had parvo have healthy puppies

If a dog had parvo...
If a dog had parvo as a puppy, can they breed and have healthy puppies?
7/28/2007
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert

Dogs who survive parvo usually go on to lead very normal lives. But, because of this history, I would want to have a thorough evaluation done by your vet.

Keep in mind that parvo lives in your carpet, yard, furniture, etc, so it would be possible for newborn puppies to catch the virus. And this could jeopardize the whole litter.

It would be in your best interest to spay the dog.

Let me know if you need more help.

Reply to Tammy F.'s Post: We are moving to a new house next month and my dog is not pregnant. My male had parvo as a puppy and I just wanted to know if he ever tried to breed my female if he would be sterile or if it would result in birth defects, less healthy puppies or if everything would be as normal as any litter by a parvo free male?

Dogs who have had parvo CAN go on to have problems later in life, mainly with the heart and organs. But it really depends on the dog.

The only way to find out if he's sterile or not is to have him tested.

will it affect any litter he fathers?

There's no evidence to suggest that it would.

It's kind of like people who have the flu. They don't pass the flu along to their children when they finally breed.

I don't like the idea of breeding a dog that has ever had parvo, male or female. That's just because I think that breeding should about making the best of the breed using a sire and dam that is best of the breed.

Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Tammy F.
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert