Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog was bitten by a squirrel. Actually the squirrel was ...

My dog was bitten by a squirrel. Actually the squirrel was attached to her top lip. I stopped the bleeding and she seems okay. Do I need to be concerned? She is up to date on all her shots.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 years ago.
HiCustomer

Since she is up to date on her vaccinations, she should be ok. I would make an appointment to have her seen by her vet as usually a rabies vaccination booster is given when an animal bite occurs.

It can take months for your dog to develop symptoms of rabies though usually they develop symptoms in 2-8 weeks. There is also no way to test for rabies on a live dog. You could have the squirrel tested if it was dead to see if it had rabies. You can read more about this here:
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/rabies.html

I hope this information is helpful to you.