Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

How do I treat my dog who ingested meth

I have a 2.5 year...
I have a 2.5 year old minpin/dahstan mix that weighs aproximately 10-12lbs. When I got up this morning, he was in my roomies room wining, swaying his head up and down. After looking around, I found a small bag of crystal meth in the floor that had been chewed on. I've given him a tspn of childrens liquid benedryl and been gettin him to drink water from a dropper. What else can I do?
6/27/2007
Walter
Walter, Breeder

Please....please....please take him to your nearest vet. While I understand that you may be worried since illegal drugs was in use vets are not police and they have no interest in what your roomies are doing. All they want to do is save your dogs life.

I can not tell you how many times we have lost a dog because someone held back about what the dog had really gotten into. We have never reported anyone and few vets do as if word gets out that vets will turn you in more lives will be lost!! You need to be honest get him to the vet and let them know what he ingested. If you are concerned tell them you went to a park and he found it there.

Your dog needs to be treated and the poison deactivated with charcoal or a pump of the stomach contents to save his life.

Do not give him anything else.....wrap him up and get him to your nearest vet asap.

Walter

Walter
Walter, Breeder
Reply to Walter's Post: The emrgency vet would not see him unless I could put a $500 down payment for treatment...taking him to the vet is the only thing that I want to do, trust me. I don't know what to do. I feel like my hands are tied behind my back.

Is there any other vets anywhere near you perhaps another town?

How long ago do you believe he ingested the meth?

Walter

Reply to Walter's Post: My room mate leaves for work between 5:30 & 6...and I go up at 7am....so it had to of been in that time span.

OK, Here's what I need you to do,

Make some burnt toast and force your your boy to eat it. Try to get at least two slices in him. Keep up with the water and keep him warm.

I don not know what time it is there, but start calling every vet in the phone book for treatment. Most offices open up at around 9am so if you are close to this time start preparing to leave.

Make no mention of the meth when you call. Let them know you believe he has ingested some type of poison and get him in. Once you are in the office let them know that he may have ingested meth while at the park (Or where ever).

Please keep me updated i will be here for a while today and if I go off i will have one of our other experts keep a eye on this situation.

Walter

Reply to Walter's Post: I found a vet and got him in. I just wanted to thank you again for your help.

Your very welcome and if you need anything please let us know.

Walter

Walter
Walter
Walter, Breeder