Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog is very restless, wont lay down or sit down ...

Customer Question
My dog is very restless...
My dog is very restless, won't lay down or sit down for only a couple of minutes. He is also panting. His stomach doesn't seem distended. My vet isn't sure whats wrong, he gave him a shot of Valium and I gave him a Phenobarbital which he prescribed. Neither seems to be working. He's up & down stairs & furniture He's ging potty and drinking water He's almost 12 A Chinese Shar Pei and weighs 50#
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/19/2007
Dog Specialist: Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet replied 10 years ago
Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet

How is your dogs appetite? Increased?

Any weight gain?

Increased thirst?

Increased urination?

Hair loss?

Pot belly?

Did your vet run blood work?

Thank you

Theresa

Reply to Theresa's Post: Hello my do hasn't gained weight he is drinking water and he ate today. He is vey agitated won' sit or lay down, and pants often
He didn't run any blood test

I would take him back into the vet tomorrow to have a blood profile run. Your dog has the symptoms of Cushing's disease. Increased thirst, Anxiety, Panting, Restlessness. His symptoms can also be indicative of pain, kidney disease, and hypothyroidism. Blood work should be performed. If his blood work is either inconclusive or shows some changes in the liver enzymes then an ACTH stim test needs to be run to rule out Cushing's disease. With this disease there is an overproduction of cortisol which is a natural steroid. High levels of this will increase blood pressure, affect other organs of the body, and cause just an uncomfortable restless feeling. There are treatments to help your boy feel more comfortable. I would consider seriously having these run tomorrow. Honestly, I am not sure why this wasn't done the first time you brought him in for this.

I cannot recommend you give him anything tonight since he already has had valium and phenobarbital. These medications are much stronger than anything you could acquire over the counter. If he continues to be uncomfortable through the night or you remain concerned I would take him into the emergency center to make sure there are no heart or lung issues involved.

Theresa

Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
I LOST WHAT I WROTE BACK WHAT I WROTE. PLEASE IF ME SOME IDEAS AS I AM RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS AND I MAY HAVE TO TAKE HIM TO VET

Theresa

i AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH THAT DISEASE WHAT CAUSES IT
iF HE DOES.T GET ANY WORSE TONIGHT IS THERE ANYTHING ELE i CAN DO TONIGHT TO TRY AND MAKE HIM COMFORTABLE

Cushing's disease is caused by a malfunction of the adrenal or pituitary gland. One of them misfires and causes and overproduction of cortisol.

You can read more on this here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=416

Honestly, if the valium and the phenobarbital didn't touch it then it isn't likely you will be able to calm him from home. Depending on when you last gave the phenobarbital it could still be a couple of hours before this kicks in fully.

Keep an eye on his gum color. It should be pink. Pale, white, or blue is not a healthy color and may indicate an issue is present with his heart where not enough oxygen is circulating.

If you can get through tonight then I would take him into the vet tomorrow. Drop him off let him stay there while they run the tests. If it is Cushing's he won't be fixed in one day but he will improve steadily over the course of a few weeks. They vet may also suggest chest xrays. This is acceptable practice so it is okay.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Theresa

Theresa
Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet