Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My puppy just threw up.. there is a long worm in it, ...

Customer Question
My puppy just threw up....
My puppy just threw up.. there is a long worm in it, could this my son or I get this from him?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dog
6/5/2007
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 10 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
HiCustomer

The most common worms seen in vomit or feces is the roundworm and tapeworm. Tapeworms are normally seen in feces and resemble grains of rice while roundworms resemble spaghetti. The most common worms found in dogs are: Roundworms, Hookworms, Tapeworms, and Whipworms and Heartworms

In some cases these worms are passed from the mother to the puppy, in other cases such as tapeworms, they are contracted by other methods such as ingesting an infected flea. Most over the counter medicine will only kill one or two types of worms, so your best bet is to take a fecal sample to your vet to determine the type of worms your dog may have and then decide on treatment. Dogs should be checked for worms periodically even if they appear healthy. This is so if your pet does become ill, you are not fighting a worm infestation along with a more serious problem.

For additional information about worms, see this site
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html

Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms.   Revolution and Interceptor as well as other heartworm medications also control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.

Humans can get tapeworms from dogs or puppies but to do so they have to ingest an infected flea or ingest a tapeworm egg. Tapeworm eggs look like grains of rice. Tapeworm eggs are normally found in dog's feces and may be around a dog's anus area. Our rule is after playing with any dog or puppy, hands are to be washed.

Roundworms can be passed onto adults and children as they are resistant to heat and cold and can survive for years in the soil. They are also passed on by ingestion. So try and prevent the ingestion of dirt and licking of dirty hands by children.

I hope you find this information