Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

at what age can a male puppy get a female dog pregnant

Customer Question

my male puppy is 7 months old and my female dog is 10 months. i attempted to breed her with 2 other males of about 2 years. she was left unsupervised with the other dogs for short periods of time and i did not think they had intercourse, but now my dog is pregnant. could my male puppy of gotten my dog pregnant.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 years ago.
HiCustomer

I know you are trying to get her pregnant, but she really is too young to be carrying puppies of her own. You will need to be prepared in case of any difficulties at whelping time or after in case she decides not to take care of the puppies. This does sometimes happen with females bred to young.

Your male dog is old enough to have sired a litter. If these are all purebred dogs and you have any plans on registering the litter, you will have to do DNA testing on all the males, your female and the puppies to determine who fathered which puppies since a female can become pregnant from multiple fathers. AKC labels this as a multiple sire litter and will require the DNA testing of the whole litter.
You can find info about this at:
http://www.akc.org/dna/multisire.cfm
http://www.akc.org/dna/parentage_evaluation.cfm

I hope this information is helpful to you.