Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

how do you get rid of cherry eye in a dogs eye

Customer Question
shes a pure breed english...
shes a pure breed english mastiff brindle in color she about 4 1/2 years old, yesterday late evening she got cherry eye what can we do to get rid of it?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dog
5/14/2007
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 10 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Dirtbikefool,

Cherry eye is a condition where there is a prolapse of the third eyelid. You can read more about this here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cherry-eye-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Surgery is the preferred treatment, though your vet is likely to try drops first. I would take her to an opthamologist. I would have it replaced to it's normal position rather than have any removal done. The eye needs the tear gland and duct to keep the eye moist. With removal, you may have to use drops in the eye for the rest of your dog's life to prevent. I would also discuss non surgical methods as well with the Vet. You can read about the various methods of treatment for cherry eye on the following site.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_cherry_eye.html
The following two sites show surgical solutions and one discusses pros and cons of various methods.
http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/ce.html
http://www.eyevet.info/cherry.html

I hope this information is helpful to you.