NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

why does my dog like to lick the inside of my nose

Customer Question

Whenever my mini dachschund shows affection she ends up licking the insides of my nose. I turn my head and she jumps up on me and insists on trying to get at my nose. Why would she do this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
This is a normal greeting for dogs to lick the face and muzzle of their 'packmates' in greeting.
It solicits attention from the one being licked.
You can teach her a different greeting for her to get your attention such as sit or shake or whatever you would like.
Key would be not giving her positive attention when she licks your nose if you do not care for that behavior. Put her on the floor if she licks your nose and give attention only while she is not licking you.
Hope this helps you!