Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a male dog and i'm mating him with a female. I was

Customer Question
just wondering how long it...
I have a male dog and i'm mating him with a female. I was just wondering how long it will take before they actually mate?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dog
3/31/2007
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 10 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
HiCustomer

I'm going to explain the heat cycle first, then go into the rest of it. During the first part of a dogs heat period you will notice swelling of the vulva, possibly an increase in urination and bleeding. If there are male dogs around you will notice them hanging around her. This stage generally last about 7 days and she will not allow males to mate with her during this period The second part of the heat cycle is when she will accept a male and breed. Usually bleeding has stopped or become straw colored at this point. This can last from 4 to 21 days though the average is 7 days. Many expert say the 9-10th day of heat is the optimum day for breeding. It is during this period of time that you will want to allow mating. Most breeders allow the dogs to mate every other day during this period.

Then during the last stage of heat she will be less willing to breed as she is going out of heat. This stage can again last from 4 to 21 days as well but averages 7 days.

Each dog is different so some evaluation by the owner is necessary. The whole heat period should be approximately 21 days but as stated can be longer or shorter depending on the dog.

Here is an excellent website with pictures to illustrate a female in different stages of heat.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breedingheat.htm

Even when the female is at the proper time for mating to occur, it can take hours as the male mounts and dismounts and they play around. When they actually successfully mate (stuck together), that portion can take from 4 minutes to an hour, though it is normally about 15 minutes.

I hope you find this information helpful.