How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SimonSays Your Own Question
SimonSays
SimonSays, Vet Tech Student
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 13
Experience:  I have had 32 years of experience with dogs, over 20 of those rescuing and training, bred and showed
3988682
Type Your Dog Question Here...
SimonSays is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what can happen if a dog eats decon rat poison

Customer Question

my dog has been acting sick for the past two days. he has thrown up once and when we let him out he goes to do his bisness but other than that he has just been laying around sleeping.
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  SimonSays replied 10 years ago.

Dear Chelsea,

If you have reason to believe your dog ate rat poison DO NOT WAIT FOR MORE SYMPTOMS TO APPEAR. GET YOUR DOG TO A VET ON AN EMERGENCY BASIS ASAP!!!!! Please read this link http://www.dogworks.org/poison.htm as it is an excellent article regarding several dogs and their LACK of symptoms before it was too late. You still have time, but it is NOT WORTH THE RISK in my opinion to wait at all. You will see why in the above referenced article. Rat poison affects the blood system, and it works very slowly, it can take even up to six days before the owner knows there is trouble, and that can be too late. Be sure to tell your Vet what you suspect and get your dog in for treatment IMMEDIATELY if you think rat poison is the cause. I never want to alarm anyone unless a dog's life is at stake, and if you think that he ate rat poison, his life is at stake. I could site you various articles, but hopefully what I am saying and this article will be enough. The only way to make sure if you suspect rat poisoning is to get your dog to the vet ASAP - PLEASE DON'T WAIT FOR MORE SYMPTOMS. Please read the article, and be on your way. You may want to print it out and take it with you to the vet. Also take the box of Decon, if you have it, and any remainder of the poison, or dead rodent that is missing. The more you can bring the better, but if all you bring is your dog, please RUSH. I will be praying for you both, and please let me know how things turn out. If your dog has or had a cough, has had neon green stool, or is bleeding from anywhere (nose, anus, etc.) you are most likely right and your dog ate rat poison. But because it causes internal bleeding and clotting the signs and symptoms can be hard to detect and are not always the same, and do not show up sometimes until treatment is too late. Like I said, you still have time, please, please, please, don't take a chance on something this deadly and hard to detect!