NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

What does it mean when my dog throws up worms

Customer Question

Came home and found my dog had vomited and there were worms in it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Sometimes the worms can actually cause vomiting as they tend to thrash around and make the dog queasy.
If the worms looked like big strands of spaghetti then its likely they were roundworms.
Most worms are easily taken care of the worm meds.
You can read about worms here
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html
I'd have the vet check a fresh stool sample to see what kind of worms you are dealing with for sure (often dogs have more than one kind) and get the right med.
If you don't want to wait to deal with this you can check the above page to figure out what kind you think you saw. If they were round or hook worms any over the counter med with the active ingredient of pyrantel pamoate should take care of them.
Hope this helps you!