Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

my dog has mucus in her mouth and it hangs out sometimes, ...

Customer Question
my dog has mucus in...
my dog has mucus in her miuth and it hangs out sometimes, is this a common cold or something more serious?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/15/2007
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 10 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Bronze,

How old is your dog?
What breed is your dog?
Is your dog coughing?
Any discharge from the eyes or nose?
If so what color is it?
she is about 9 or 10 years old, maybe older. she's a lab mix, she "hacks" like she has something stuck in her throat, only once in a while. didn't see any discharge from eyes but her nose was crusted with dry mucus. the mucus is clear. I have another dog and a cat that show no signs or symptoms.
Hi Bronze,

Excessive saliva and gulping and licking his mouth are signs of mouth pain, nausea or sometimes a seizure. Check your dog’s mouth for tartar on the teeth, possibly red gums, darkened teeth, broken teeth or something caught between the teeth or gums. If you find something stuck, try and remove it. If it is bad teeth, you can give her Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet.

Check just under your dog’s jawbone for a swelling and under your dog’s tongue for a swelling. This is where some of your dog’s salivary glands are located. If you find a swelling here, it’s possible your dog has an accumulation of fluid near the salivary gland called a sialocele which is causing your dog to salivate more. This condition does require your dog to be seen as soon as possible. You can read about it here:
http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/sialocele.htm

If you suspect it may be due to nausea you can try some Pepcid or Tagamet or Zantac.
You can read about dose amounts (and cautions) scrolling down on the pages here
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet/page1.aspx
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx

If your dog becomes uncomfortable, you should take her into the vet.

If it is possible that your dog ate something toxic such as chocolate, cocoa mulch, antifreeze, medications they will need to see a vet immediately.

You can read more about excessive salivation on the following website:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ptyalism-hypersalivation-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Since she also shows symptoms of an upper respiratory illness, I would have her seen by your Vet. A cough like you describe could be a symptom of an infection or a more serious heart condition such as heartworms if your dog is not on heartworm preventative. I am including sites with information on kennel cough and canine influenza as well for you to read.
http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/kenc.html
http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/showarticle.cfm?id=475

To help your dog breathe easier, Robitussin DM at a 1/4 teaspoon per 5 pounds can be used to control the cough. Dosages can be obtained at this website. http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm/page1.aspx

I would have her seen for the cough even if you do find that the drooling is due to a mouth problem.

I hope you find this information helpful.