Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

Can a dog have an extra nail

Customer Question

My labrodor retiever went out back to play in the snow and when i brought him in i noticed his back paw was bleeding. After carefully observing his paw i noticed he had an extra nail growing out of his paw pad. At first i thought he might have lost his nail but than realized that he had all of his nails and an extra one. I've never seen anything like this before and need some advice.
thanks,
Kim
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 10 years ago.

Kim:

Is this extra nail softer and white/pink?

Is this where the bleeding is coming from?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Gina's Post: no the nail isn't soft or white. It looks exactly like his other nails on his paw. and yes this is where the bleeding is coming from.
Expert:  Gina replied 10 years ago.

Kim:

Honestly, I thought you might be seeing the quick along with a semi-attached toenail, but now I am not so sure, so I am going to opt out of this question so other experts that might be more familiar with what you are seeing can respond. I will also personally send it to a few for their imput. Sit tight and hopefully someone will have an answer for you....unless of course it is the quick you are seeing, but it would be softer than a normal nail. :) No need to accept this answer unless it is the quick, then feel free to respond to me :)

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Thanks for trying but i don't think it is the quick. I'm not sure if this will help but i did notice that it is rounded at the base of the nail. It almost seems as if it popped out of his paw. It is the oddest thing i have ever seen.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 10 years ago.

Hello there,

What you are seeing looks like a nail but is not really. It is called hyperkeratosis of the foot pad which means overgrowth of the keratin layer of the pad tissue layer. It is common in older dogs and the cause is unknown. It is usually seen on the edges of the pads. It is not cancer.

If the areas turns white or loses pigment it could indicate an autoimmune disease and then you should have it biopsied.

It can cause pain. If it does you can have the growth removed with a scissors or a surgical blade.

Vitamin A therapy may be helpful at 10,000 IU twice a day by mouth.

Topical application of Vaseline or bag balm daily will help soften the keratin. It is messy so I would put a sock on the foot after applying. Leave it on for at least an hour.

http://www.bagbalm.com/index.html?http://www.bagbalm.com/cows.html bag balm

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
thanks for your reply but i can't figure out why this over growth looks exactly like his other nails.

I know it does. I have cut them off before.

You should have your vet cut it off and have it biopsied then just to make sure. It took me a while to find a picture but here are what appears to be nails growing out of the pad. This is hyperkeratosis or "horns."

You can have your vet cut it off.

Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.