Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Why does my dog vomit yellow bile every day

We have a Chinese Crested. She is 9 yrs old and spayed. She is current on all shots, takes interceptor every month, and is in good health. She vomits yellow bile almost on a daily basis. We think it is because she is hungry. She is feed twice a day at the same time each day. We think it would help to split her feedings to three times a day, but due to our work schedules that is to a realistic option. Do you know of any supplements we can give her to help soothe her stomache. She never seems lathargic or ill in any way, so we do not belive she has a serious health problem. We think she has a sensitive stomache, and possibly because she is a very nervous dog she vomits the yellow bile. Any suggestions or advice would be very appreciated.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.
If you are seeing yellow vomit, this usually means two things - you are seeing bile and he is vomiting on an empty stomach.

If you know that he's vomiting on an empty stomach, you can somewhat help this by never letting his stomach empty. Offer him food at night before you walk him one last time and then feed him when he wakes up. Then again when you get home from work. You might even want to give him a bland diet when he has flare ups. Boiled chicken and white rice is a great choice (no bones, no skin). If this doesn't help, you can use plain cottage cheese or even jarred baby food meat (no onions or garlic). Some vets will recommend that you go so far as offering tagamet or pepcid (better than maalox) to help with reflux if this is an underlying cause.

This would be a good time for a fecal exam to rule out parasites as the cause of the nausea.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Tammy F.'s Post: She weighs 18 lbs. how much tagament or pepcid should we give her?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

Pepcid is my favorite and the tabs are tiny so they are easy to give.

Here's the site that explains the dosage amount:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx