Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

what is the correct dose of tramadol for a 12 lb. dog

my minature dachshund was hit...
my minature dachshund was hit by a car - barely grazed her front right paw - she is eating and drinking, but will not put the paw down - looks like her thumb nail is gone. It is not swollen - do you think it might be broken. Should we wait overnite and see how she does and what should we look for? I have tramadol hcl 50mg tablets - should i give her some for pain and if so how many miligrams for a 12 lb. dog and how often. Help!!
11/11/2006
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert

The problem with car accidents is that there can be a lot more internal injuries than external. And any anti-inflammatory that you can give her will lead to thinning of the blood, which can make internal bleeding worse.

I would not suggest an anti-inflammatory at this point unless your vet has ruled out internal injuries.

The only way to tell if there is an actual break is to get x-rays.

Keep in mind that losing a toenail is common and pretty painful.

Let me know if you want to discuss this more.

Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: i am pretty sure she doesn't have any internal injuries - she is not sore at all and is up and barking. if the leg is not broken, will she put pressure on it in a few days or not. Would like to give her tremadol for pain of toenail, but do not know the dosage.

I still would not use tremadol. Some aspirin is the only thing that I can recommend. You can read about dosage info and precautions here:

http://www.school-for-champions.com/animalhealth/aspirin.htm

If she puts NO weight on that foot for more than 24 hours, you need to see the vet with her.

Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Tammy F.
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert