Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

MY DOG HAS BLISTERS UNDERNEATH HIS CHIN, WHAT IS THAT

Customer Question
They are white like, something...
They are white like, something like herpes in adults, are they contagious
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Dog
11/3/2006
Dog Specialist: Dr. Smith, Veterinarian replied 11 years ago
Dr. Smith
Dr. Smith, Veterinarian

Hi Razberry,

First I want you to relax and understand that there are very few skin conditions of a pet dog that could be contagious to us humans!

Any kind of raised bump or blister like appearance on the chin of a pet dog, is usually due to a condition called folliculitis, or inflammation of the hair follicles. This condition is common in pets that are suscept to staph infections, that have demodectic or sarcoptic mange mites, and that have allergies to plastic and other feeding bowls that their chin may come into contact with on a regular basis.

Diagnosis of the exact problem should be done by your veterinarian. A procedure called a skin scrape will be done on your pet's affected areas of chin and a sample of cells and debris from your pet's skin will be visualized microscopically to assess for the presence of mites or bacterial organisms.

Treatment for folliculitis often entails antibiotics, usage of stainless steel (hypoallergenic) feeding bowls, antiinflammatories, and any indicated mite therapies.

Of the causes of folliculitis, the only contagious one to humans if the Sarcoptic Mange mite. Generally, pets affected with this mite are Extremely Itchy!! These mites can be difficult to find on a routine skin scrape, so your vet may suggest treatment for this mite EVEN if the skin scrape comes up negative!

Please remember to "ACCEPT" if I have answered your question to your satisfaction.
Leaving POSITIVE FEEDBACK helps with RATINGS and EARNINGS!
I appreciate your trust and confidence in my professional experience and knowledge!

Best wishes to your and your pet, Dr. Smith

Dr. Smith
Dr. Smith, Veterinarian
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
my dog , a dachshund has blisters like 4 under his chin, what is that?
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
I am still paranoid about these ugly lucking blisters/sores/ their are a couple underneath his chin?
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 11 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Customer

What Dr. Smith said is entirely true. Dogs also get acne and it appears on the chin. It looks similiar to human acne and can be caused by allergies as Dr. Smith pointed out. It is treated with Benzoyl peroxide for mild cases and antibiotics for more acute cases.

It could also be pelodera dermetitis which is accidental infection by a non parasitic worm such as a fly larva that would form small cysts with a tiny hole in the middle so the insect can breath. This usually occurs as a result of bedding such as straw that has the larva present. Treatment is Remove bedding and use an antibacterial shampoo. If itching is too bad steroids can be given to control itching

To ease your mind concerning herpes, I've included a link to a page that discusses canine herpes virus.
http://www.2ndchance.info/herpesvirusdog.htm

Hope this helps.
Dr. Smith
Dr. Smith
Dr. Smith, Veterinarian