Animal Eyes
Animal Eyes, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  25 yrs working, treating, training and loving dogs, 5 yrs as an animal control officer
1527314

EVERYTIME I LIGHT A FIRE IN WOOD STOVE, MY DOG SHAKES + ...

EVERYTIME I LIGHT A FIRE IN WOOD STOVE, MY DOG SHAKES + RUNS + HIDES. why ?
MORE SO IF FIREWOOD CRACKELS. HOW CAN I GET MY DOG TO NOT BE AFRAID?
Unfortunately fire is a very scary thing for most animals. They are almost instinctively afraid of it so it is difficult to teach them not to be afraid. What you can try doing is put her in a crate when you are starting the fire, a safe distance away from the stove. Start the fire and then just sit there by it without making a big deal about her reaction. You can also offer her a small amount of food, a treat that she may not get often, while she is in the crate. Often when we try to comfort them we actually reinforce the behavior because they are getting a type of positive response from us. By not giving a response and going about business as usual she may become less concerned about the fire because you aren't trying to comfort her and reinforce her fear. Hopefully this will help but she may not be able to overcome her natural instinct to be ware of fire and smoke.