Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog whines or cries when he sees a cat or dog he can not get at.

Customer Question
I'm afraid of what he'll...
I'm afraid of what he'll do if allowed to approach other animals. The hair on his back is usually on end at the same time. He's a lab mix rescue i've had for 6 weeks. How do I know his intentions are good or bad.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Dog
10/4/2006
Dog Specialist: Roger L. Welton, DVM, Veterinarian replied 11 years ago
Roger L. Welton, DVM
Roger L. Welton, DVM, Veterinarian
When the hackles stand up, they are definately on the defensive and wary of altercation. However, this does not necessarily mean that he wants to be aggressive. It could just mean that he is prepared in the even that the other dog were to attack. Ultimately, if the other dog is not aggressive, then he may just be very interested in playing. If you have interest in taking him to bark parks or other situations where he will be aorund other dogs, or if you have any future inclination of adding another dog to your house, you can try socializing him with dogs that you know to be sweet and tolerant.

Remember, when introducing dogs, it is best to do it off leash - the leash actually makes them more apprehensive. Do not do it inside, but preferably in a big open space like a back yard or park. Have no food or toys around, as these are common reasons dogs fight.

Keep yourself armed with a garden hose that can deliver a strong blast of water. If they start to fight, blasting them with water is the best way to stop them without yourself getting bitten.
Roger L. Welton, DVM
Roger L. Welton, DVM, Veterinarian
Roger L. Welton, DVM
Roger L. Welton, DVM
Roger L. Welton, DVM, Veterinarian