Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

can you give a dog a suppository if it is constipated

Customer Question

MY DOG IS CONSTIPATED THERE IS NO EMERGENCY ANIMAL HOSPITAL NEARBY CAN I GIVE THE DOG ASUPPOSITORY
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jennifer B. replied 10 years ago.
Yes, you can use a suppository for your constipated dog. You might also want to try a lubricant or laxative. Find out from your vet before administering any medication either prescribed or over the counter before attempting anything to alleviate the constipation. You can also try a warm, mildly soapy enema - do not use anything over the counter unless prescribed by your vet. Make sure you check your dog's tummy for tenderness, if your dogs tummy feels hard and not soft/cushy to the touch you may want to reconsider the above remedies and take you dog to the vet. I hope this helps! Godd luck!