Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience:  14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care
237255

My dog keeps vomiting and cant keep anything down, ...

My dog keeps vomiting and can't keep anything down, what should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 11 years ago.
You need to allow th intestional tract to recover for 4-6 hours and allow no food or water. Then start with a couple tablespoons of water to see if this is tolerable. If so then you should start feeding a bland diet of cooked rice, boiled chicken or beef for the next 1-2 days to help with the nausea and vomiting and then return to the regular diet afterwards. If the water will not stay down and the bland diet does not help with the vomiting then further evaluation is advised as even 48 hours without food or water can cause liver, kidney, or heart damage. Also you can give a dose of Pepto-Bismol at a rate of two tablespoons daily split up into four doses so one teaspoon each time will add up to the two tablespoons.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Cheryl K.'s Post: Can I give the Pepto Bismal now or should I wait 4-6 hrs? And what if he still vomiting during the recovery time?
I would wait for at least 2-3 hours as the intestional tract needs time to recover and giving it now may cause more vomiting and be useless for coating the stomach. If he continues to vomit during the time of waiting this is still okay as the intestional tract may take time to recover. If after 4-6 hours he is unable to hold down water or keep down the bland diet then you should have him seen as dehydration can come on quickly and the also need to do further testing to determine the cause of the vomiting.