How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gen B. Your Own Question
Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 2227
Experience:  Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Gen B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do dogs get warbles and if so what does the site look like ...

Customer Question

Do dogs get warbles and if so what does the site look like and what should be done?
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gen B. replied 11 years ago.

Hello and thanks for investigating this important health question!

"Warbles" is a common name given to the larvae of flies that lay an egg on a weak animal (usually very young, or sickly). These are also known as Bot Fly larvae, or Cuterebra after the scientific name.

The larva develops under the skin and is noticed as a lump with a hole in the middle...the parasite pops its face up and down out of the hole to breath.

These pests should be surgically removed by a licensed veterinarian as soon as possible.

Here is a link to a web site with a kind of graphic photo, but good information about these insects:,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26354--,00.html

If you need additional information at this time, please click "Reply".