How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NancyH Your Own Question
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 31958
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
Type Your Dog Question Here...
NancyH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my dog might have a worbel. What exactly are they ...

Customer Question

I think my dog might have a worbel. What exactly are they and what do they look like? And what is the best way to treat it if he does?
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Warbles or wolves are the larva of a certain type of bot fly. What it looks like is a small hole in the center of a lump in the dog's skin. The hole has mucus in it and you may get the fleeting imrpession of something alive in the hole.
You need to have the vet remove them as if you accidently crush one under the skin they give off a really toxic stuff making the host animal ill.
Hope this helps you!