NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

how can you fix a dislocated leg on a dog without ...

Customer Question

how can you fix a dislocated leg on a dog without taking it to the vet?

Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
What joint is dislocated?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I'm not even sure if its a dislocated joint. He doesn't walk on it, but he does have it down sometimes. This lady looked at it last night and said there is really nothing you can do but just let it heal on its own. She gave me an ace bandage to wrap on it and also said to run his leg under cold water for about 10 minutes, if he would let me. It is still really swollen so I still put ice on it. When will the swelling start to go down? It's his left hind leg and you can really see the swelling around the ankle area.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If he has a bone break he'll need a cast on it.
If its the rear hock that is injured this site has a brace for hocks
http://www.orthodog.com/
If ligaments are torn or there is other soft tissue injury just like in a human sprain it can be weeks before the area is all better.
This site shows a dog skeleton and goes over th different parts like ligaments and what they do.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1562&articleid=327
If he has a break or sprain he'd probably feel a lot better with a splint from a vet to keep the limb safely immobilised.