Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

at what age should you stop breeding a shih tzu

Customer Question
can a 9 yr old...
can a 9 yr old shih tzu be bred?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Dog
4/7/2006
Dog Specialist: NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care replied 11 years ago
NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
A lot depends on the condition the dog is in and when she had her last litter.
Before I bred a dog this age I'd seriously consider getting a geriatric bloodwork done to make sure her body was running OK and there were no hidden health problems going on.
I'd also only want to do this if the dog was in top condition and seemed more like a 6 year old than a 9 year old.
If she hasn't had a litter in several years I'd not consider it I'd spay her instead.
My usually quitting time for breeding is at age 6 or when I've had 3-4 litters from a dog. Some people breed a dog twice a year until they die of old age too.
But breeding a dog this age is risky. Its possible she will die, pups will die, or she'll need a c-section, or she could have congenital defects in the pups if her nutrition is depleted or her eggs have aged too much etc.
I'd evaluate very carefully and get a vet opinion on the safety of doing this with your pet after an exam and bloodwork.
If your dog has never been bred before I don't think I'd risk it as the pelvic calcifies meaning a c-section is even more likely.
Hope this helps you!
NancyH
NancyH