Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

When Yorkie puppies are one to two weeks old, how ...

When Yorkie puppies are one...
When Yorkie puppies are one to two weeks old, how quickly should they be gaining weight or what is an appropriate amount of weight to gain in a day or a week?
4/6/2006
NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Puppies should always feel full and firmly packed when you pick them up that is one sign of good health.
Puppies usually double their birth weight in the first week. They then should gain steadily at a rate of 1 to 2 grams per pound of expected adult weight each day. So if a pup will be growing up to be a 5 pound Yorkie in a week you'd expect the pup to gro 35-70 grams in weight.
The easy key is this, they should grow every week and even every day they should be gaining some small amount of weight. They should never lose weight or stop growing for a week as that may indicate a nutrition or health issue. They shouldn't feel flaccid when you pick them up either.
Hope this helps you!
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out what this means in oz. that should be gained. I'm trying to figure out if my pups are going to be large or avg. size. I have two litters and one litter at 1 week old is rapidly catching up to my other litter which is 2 weeks old. I don't want 3 lbs. yorkies but I don't want 10 lbs. ones either. I'm just trying to gauge their growth. A one week old, neither litter quite doubled their birth weight. I'm using a pretty good scale that measures ounces.

To be specific, my litter that is 2 weeks old weighs 11, 12 and 13 oz. My litter that is 1 week old weighs 8, 9 and 11 oz. Some of them have gained up to 1 oz. a day.

I hope this is making sense.
A gram is about .35 ounces so if the pups are gaining at an ounce a day its a little under 3 grams.
My experience has been early growth has a lot to do with the richness of mom's milk and how much she makes and how many pups she is supplying it to. True growth patterns settle in when the pups go on to eating real food.
I've had pups that look oversized early on slow growth when they get to having regular food and end up average in size and others that were undersized end up bigger than the rest once they no longer were competing for mom's milk.
I find weighing the dogs at 12 weeks and doubling the weight and adding 1-2 pounds gives me aproximate adult size. Or doubling the weight at 16 weeks. Keep as good a track as you can of these litters for better prediction next time. If you used the same sire you might want another one a different time breeding.
Toys can be a bit unpredictable depending on the size of grandparents and great grandparents as well as the parents. Also the less related the dogs are the larger the pups may be.
The second litter may end up closer to the 8-10 pound range but you will know more as time goes on as to how they will keep going.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to accept your answer because it is valuable to me. Just one more question, what did you mean by the less related the dogs are? Do you recommend inline breeding? And exactly which relatives qualify as inline breeding? The family who owns the stud I used wanted to buy a female from the litter and planned on breeding it to her father and I refused to sell them one. What is the scoop on what is acceptable and what is not?
Thanks,
My apologies I was off to vist a puppy at a dog show today! Just got back and online.
When you do a complete outcross in breeding you often get size in toy dogs. In the next generation you may be able to bring it back down by line breeding back.
I would not inbreed in terms of breeding siblings or mother X son, father X daughter as that is a little close but line breeding such as uncle X niece or aunt X nephew or 'cousins' is a way of lining up genes to maximize chance of getting the kind of quality offspring you want.
While close inbreeding also lines up genes well you have a higher possibility of seeing a poor line up of recessives and a smaller number of pups in the litter due to gentic combinations that keep the fetus from surviving to become a puppy.
You can read about the pluses and minuses of various breeding methods here
www.dogbreedinfo.com/inbreeding.htm
www.sloughi-international.com/linebreeding.htm
http://www.geocities.com/farmcollie1/inbreeding.html
www.omalmalamutes.com/omal/breedingmethods.asp
As you want to keep small size if you plan to keep any pups from the litter keep the pups who are the healthiest and smallest. If the medium pup is healthier (good knees and heart for example) you keep that one over keeping the smaller one. You can breed for size but breeding for health and size will serve you better in the long run.

NancyH
NancyH
NancyH