Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

How long before whelping does a dog get in her milk My pug

Customer Question
How long before whelping does...
How long before whelping does a dog get in her milk? My pug has had milk in for 3 days, she is nesting now with towels and newspaper but her temp goes up and down, how far away is she?

Optional Information:
Age: 2; Female; Breed: Pug

Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Dog
3/6/2006
Dog Specialist: Tammy F., Not an active Expert replied 11 years ago
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
They usually get their milk up to 3-4 days before whelping. How many days has she been pregnant? What is her temp now?
I thought she would not be due until the end of this month as I witnessed the breeding at that point but she must have gotten pregnant earlier, she is very fat, nipples large and every afternoon the last few days milk has expelled as I have held her. today she is really clingy to my wife, when my wife leaves her sight she wimpers, that is not her usual self
oh and her temp this afternoon was a litte above 98, her temp now is about 99.5
99.5 is her temp now

It really sounds like you are seeing the stages of labor, particularly since she is clingy and her temp has dropped so low. If you don't see puppies within a reasonable amount of time, you need to go ahead and give your vet a call.

so , with milk in for 3 days and clingy, what should I look for in a pug to see she has progressed or know that she is in labor, I will add a tip at the end to make up for the extra time, thanks

You should have seen her lose her mucus plug about a week ago. This might have looked like a snotty mess that you could wipe away.

Aside from that, you might feel her sides ripple when she has contractions.

Keep in mind that pugs often need c-sections so don't wait too long before calling the vet. She may just need a shot of oxytocin to get things moving.

I have been in contact with my vet since Saturday and they are on standby, I notice the other day clear mucusy like stuff in her bed, not alot , but this was a couple of days ago, today she has had a little wetness, we told our vet but they said it could be just before her water breaks, I am keeping her in a playpen with her bed in my bedroom for the last couple of nights so I can notice anything

It definitely sounds like you can expect puppies any minute!

If you have not seen anything by tomorrow, go ahead and see your vet.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX my last question, so should i notice anything in her breathing or anything, or will it just happen shortly and everything should start? she still gets up and goes to the bathroom whenever I take her, at lest she pees, she is still eating, not as much though, thanks again, I am well pleased with your help and will take care of you appropriately
She should start to pant and have an increased heart rate when she's actively in labor.
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Tammy F.
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert