NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

WHAT CAUSES DOGS TO BECOME PARALYZED ALL OF A SUDDEN

MY 9 YR MALE ROTTWEILER WAS FINE EXCEPT HE HAD A COUGH. I TOOK HIM TO VET YESTERDAY FOR HIS COUGH. HE WAS CHECKED AND THE VET GAVE HIM SOME DOXICILIN AND SOME DERAMAXX 100mg. I AM TO GIVE HIM 50mg DERAMAXX I TIME DAILY FOR LEG PAIN. HIS 1 REAR LEG BOTHERS HIM FROM TIME TO TIME AFTER CHASING A CAT ETC. I GAVE HIM DERAMAXX 2-3 HRS PRIOR TO HIS FLIPPING OVER BACKWARDS AND HIS LEGS NO LONGER WORKING. IT SEEMS TO PRIMARILY BE HIS RIGHT SIDE THATS WORSE AND DOESN"T WORK FOR HIM NOW. HE BUMPED HIS HEAD WHILE GETTING OTHER DOGS FOOD.RIGHT BEFORE THIS HAPPENED TO HIM. HIM FLIPPING OVER AND HIS LEGS GOING PARALYZED.HELP HIM PLEASE? CHRIS

Optional Information:
Age: 9; Male; Breed: ROTTWEILER

Already Tried:
KEPT HIM CALM AND AS COMFORTABLE AS I CAN. HE"S CONFINED TO WHATEVER ROOM I"M IN.HE EATS AND DRINKS. HE IS ALERT NOW AND BARKS. HE"D LIKE TO GO OUTSIDE BUT CAN"T WALK HE CRAWLS SOME. I SIT WITH HIM AND TALK TO HIM.

Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Try using a towel around his ribs to help support him so he can go out to potty.
He may have had a stroke, he could have a neurological problem or vestibular disease which you can read about here
www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html
See if he is better in the morning and if not you may want to see the emergency vet with him.
If he recovers but can't use his legs well check out www.handicappedpets.com for devices that can help with mobility.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
NANCY, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. I WENT RIGHT TO THE SIGHT YOU SUGGESTED AND THE PICTURE OF A DOG WITH VESTIBULAR DIESESE LOOKS EXACTLY HOW MY ROTT LOOKS THE WAY HE"S LAYING THERE HOW HE"S HOLDING HIS HEAD AND THE WAY HIS LEGS ARE SPREAD OUT AND AWKWARD LOOKING.I WILL LOOK INTO THIS AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW THE OUT COME OF JAXX. HE THANKS YOU FOR YOUR INSIGHT AND HELP AND I THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH.HAPPY NEW YEAR AND GOD BLESS YOU NANCY. CHRIS AND JAXX MY ROTTY