Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

how old do puppies have to be to get their shots mainly

Customer Question
How old do puppies have...
How old do puppies have to be, to get their shots, mainly the parvo shots? Mine, are 5 months old, are they old enough?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Dog
12/30/2005
Dog Specialist: Michael, Researcher replied 11 years ago
Michael
Michael, Researcher
Vaccination Protocols and Schedule

Vaccination protocols for dogs are changing almost yearly as new research is done on duration of immunity.
Take an in-depth look at an article about vaccinations.

6 to 7 weeks of age:   Give first combination vaccine. (Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus, Parainfluenza, Coronavirus)

9 weeks of age: Give second combination vaccine.

12 weeks of age: Give the third combination injection and possibly a LYME Vaccine inoculation. Generally a LYME vaccine is then repeated two weeks later, then once a year.

16 weeks of age: Give the last combination vaccine.

12 to 16 weeks of age: Rabies vaccine is given. (Local and State laws apply regarding Rabies vaccine since this can be a human disease, too.   Your veterinarian will tell you the proper time intervals for booster vaccines for Rabies.)
Special considerations: Many veterinarians believe some breeds such as Rottweilers and Dobermans should have at least two Parvo vaccines with the last one being given at 20 weeks of age.

If you are thinking about giving your pup the vaccinations yourself, there are few things you should know first. Be sure to read up on how to vaccinate your own dogs. You can also find helpful photos and movies showing a real vaccination reaction.
Make sure vaccine is specifically for puppies since it has extra immunities not found in adult vaccines.

It is important to space the vaccines at least two weeks apart. Unless you live in a high risk area wait until your pup is at least five months old. By then the maternal antibodies will not interfere with the effectiveness of the vaccine, therefore he will only need each vaccine once. At one year of age your veterinarian can do an antibody titre test, which is a simple blood test that measures your dog's antibodies to a specific disease, such as parvo virus or distemper.

Never give a stressed or sick dog a vaccination. If your dog is suffering from allergies or fleas, or has skin problems, she is not in optimum health. Stress is also a factor to consider. If she has gone through an emotional trauma, for instance, a change of homes, new member in the family, give her a while to get adjusted to the new routine before getting vaccinations. Vaccine manufacturers recommend that only healthy dogs be vaccinated

Some people start vaccinating their pups for Parvo at 4 weeks old.

There is a vaccine called NEO-PAR. It is up to 6,000 times for effective in protecting your dog than traditional parvo shots. Not only that, it covers EVERY strain of parvo that is known. It also overcomes maternal antibodies - so there is no worry about your pups getting sick at a young age.

At 5 weeks, some begin vaccinating for Distemper, Hepatitis and. In addition, you can give the nasal Bordetella at 6 weeks old.
We have alot of folks who like to come visit us... see our adult dogs and view our pups. We most often do not let people handle any of our pups before they're 6 weeks old, but that doesn't mean the guests couldn't bring in crud on their shoes or etc.... so we just buy the good From 6 weeks on, you can vaccinate with a DA2P+Pv (modified live) combo every 2 weeks until 16 weeks old.

Canines do not have an active immune system until they are 6 or 7 weeks old. Therefore, vaccinations given prior to that time are useless. According to Dr. Jean Dodds, probably the foremost authority on immune-mediated health problems, vaccines should be given no closer that 3 weeks apart and combination vaccines should be avoided. There is also passive immunity to be considered. If your dogs are around other vaccinated dogs, they are exposed to shed viruses which constantly boost the immune response.

Vaccination at less than 6 weeks of age is often not effective due to interference of vaccinal immunity - by passively acquired antibodies and, rarely (e.g. less than 2 weeks of age), inability of a pup's immune system to respond effectively to the vaccine. Ideally, pups should be kept in a clean environment prior to vaccination and have no, or minimal, contact with dogs other than the dam and littermates."

Improvements in vaccines have made it unnecessary to vaccinate puppies through 18-20 weeks; up to 16 weeks is recommended.
Also, combination vaccines aren't as effective as monovalent vaccines. Dogs at high risk of exposure to disease such as parvo are better protected if given a monovalent vaccine rather than a multi-component vaccine.

Multivalent vaccines are those that have more than one disease antigen combined into one injection.
A typical multivalent vaccine is the DHLPPCv vaccine for dogs. Instead of giving six different injections,
all these "vaccines" or antigens can be given in a single small volume injection. Certainly this is easier
on the dog than getting six separate injections.

DHLPPCv stands for:

D... Canine Distemper Virus... a dangerous viral infection.   "Distemper" is an odd name for a viral infection and this disease has no relationship to nor connection with a dog's temperament.

H... Hepatitis...a viral infection caused by two related viruses that mainly affects the liver.

L... Leptospirosis... a bacterial infection affecting the kidneys. This class of bacteria can infect humans, cows, dogs, pigs and other mammals.

P... Parainfluenza... a virus that along with the Hepatitis virus can cause upper respiratory infections.

P... Parvovirus... a severe and often fatal virus affecting the lining of the intestinal tract.

Cv... Coronavirus... is very similar to the Parvovirus, can be very severe, but has a somewhat different effect on the intestinal tract and generally is not fatal.
Michael
Michael, Researcher
Michael
Michael
Michael, Researcher