Dog

dogs: allergic reaction can I give her benedryl..she weighs…

Customer Question
my dogs eye are pufflike...
my dogs eye are pufflike she is having an allergic reaction can I give her benedryl until I get her to a vet,if so how much she weighs about 95lbs
... Read full answer
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Dog
9/15/2005
Dog Specialist: Rebekah Haferbecker, Pet Care Provider replied 13 years ago
Rebekah Haferbecker
Rebekah Haferbecker, Pet Care Provider

Yes, Benadryl can be administered. She can be give 4 25mg tablets as most vets recommend about 1 mg per pound of weight. This can be administered with food or wrapped in a treat. However, if the allergic reaction is from a food source then beware of what you feed it to her in. I would definitely get her to the vet ASAP to determine the cause of the allergic reaction and to determine if that is what it is for sure.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My dog is having problems with his eyes. It started just a
My dog is having problems with his eyes. It started just a few hours ago. His eyes look swollen. And he doesn't want to open them up. They are tearing up a bit and when I can pry them open it appears … read more
Joan
Joan
Vet Tech,
Private
My 1.5 year old bullador Abby has a swollen upper eyelid --
My 1.5 year old bullador Abby has a swollen upper eyelid -- her right eye. It appeared quite suddenly a day or so ago (noticed it yesterday). It is puffy and a bit red, but not draining. We also have … read more
Veterinarian,
My dog suddenly has red eyes, her muzzle looks swollen, and
My dog suddenly has red eyes, her muzzle looks swollen, and she's vomited. She's shaking her head and scratching and rubbing her muzzle and ears. She was not like this yesterday.… read more
Joan
Joan
Vet Tech,
Private
Stop searching for answers—
My dog was bit or stung by something. Not sure what. Shes
My dog was bit or stung by something. Not sure what. She's playing and acting normal, but she has whelts all over her belly and back. Benadryl has helped, but only for a few hours at a time.… read more
Joan
Joan
Vet Tech,
Private
My dog has hives all over that just appeared this morning when
My dog has hives all over that just appeared this morning when we woke up! My boyfriend did give him some beef jerky last night so that may be it but can I just monitor him or should I take him to the… read more
Candy
Candy
Veterinary Technician,
The area around my dogs eyes have swelled up and she is so
The area around my dogs eyes have swelled up and she is so itchy,this all happened in the last half hour,we gave her some antihistamine......little scary.....did we do the right thing?… read more
Joan
Joan
Vet Tech,
Private
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
dog: red eyes..I put visine Allergies eye drops on her eyes
I took my dog to a park. She seemed to have an allergy with a red eyes. I put Visine Allergies eye drops on her eyes, about two drops on each eyes. Her eyes are still red. What should i do?… read more
Joan
Joan
Vet Tech,
Private
I double dosed my dog, American Staffordshire, with old Advantix
I double dosed my dog, American Staffordshire, with old Advantix within a few days of each other. I bought some Comfortis for the next month and my boyfriend gave her one when I was not home. The flea… read more
Dr. John
Dr. John
Veterinarian,
my 8 month old lab has swollen eyes and mouth. We have washed
my 8 month old lab has swollen eyes and mouth. We have washed with saline and given benydryl. She is eating and drinking fine but seems to be itchy. I suspect allergic reaction. Is there anything else… read more
Joan
Joan
Vet Tech,
Private
my dog just tonight had one of her eyes start to swell up and
my dog just tonight had one of her eyes start to swell up and it obviously is itchy as she is rubbing her head on the carpet and also is bitting her back as well as panting, can we giver her loratadin… read more
Dog Behaviorist/Trainer/Breeder/Health,
3.75 GPA 36cr. Multiple Tech traini
My 2 y.o boxer got a hold of a coconut lemon verbena conditioner,
My 2 y.o boxer got a hold of a coconut lemon verbena conditioner, which is the only thing I can attribute her swelling to. Her eyes are almost completely swollen shut and her mouth, not tongue, are sw… read more
Lisa
Lisa
Certified Veterinary Technician,
My pug/shar pei mix seems to be having an allergic reaction.
My pug/shar pei mix seems to be having an allergic reaction. She is about 1 and a half years old. Her face is swelling rapidly. I mean, very quickly. When I returned home forty minutes ago she looked … read more
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Veterinarian,
Stop searching for answers—
My dog had a 3 vaccines today Rabies Vac , Canine 1 yr.,
My dog had a 3 vaccines today : Rabies Vac , Canine 1 yr., Corona Annual Booster, DA2ppv Annual Booster. I also took her to get groomed. IM AFRAID SHE IS HAVING A BAD ALLERGIC REACTION NOW AND I DONT … read more
Dr. Brian
Dr. Brian
My dog has a lump on top of her head and her eye is now swollen
My dog has a lump on top of her head and her eye is now swollen shut. I have an appointment on Monday for the vet. It has gotten worse in the past day. The lump is hard and it is sensitive to her. Can… read more
Lisa
Lisa
Certified Veterinary Technician,
our dog has itchy watery eyes...it started yesterday...all ...
our dog has itchy watery eyes...it started yesterday...all the citrus trees in the neighborhood are in bloom...can he have algeries?… read more
Joan
Joan
Vet Tech,
Private
10 week old lab all of the sudden developed swollen redness ...
10 week old lab all of the sudden developed swollen redness around her one eye a few minutes later the other started the same. Could this be an allergy? I have not fed her anything differant since we … read more
Theresa
Theresa
A Voice for Your Pet,
Yesterday my dog was in his cage for approximately 4-5 ...
Yesterday my dog was in his cage for approximately 4-5 hours. When we took him out his face was severely swollen almost closing his eyes. I gave him half of a 25mg tablet of benedryl. About 30 minutes… read more
Theresa
Theresa
A Voice for Your Pet,
dog: is swelling in the mouth, eyes, and under fur..pink..nose..ears
my dog is swelling in the mouth, eyes, and under fur, like she has hives, and she is bright pink? she is 3 yrs old, came in from outside noticed her face was swolen. lips nose eyes and ears. and it lo… read more
Animal Eyes
Animal Eyes
Veterinary Technician,