Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Blood and clots coming from my dogs mouth.

Customer Question
My 4 year old dog...
My 4 year old dog has blood and clots coming from her mouth every 10 minutes or so. On Wednesday I took her to the vet because she just was not well. He gave her an IV, antibiotics in case she has worms and/or internal infection, a B12 shot, and antibiotics to be given at home. He also took a blood sample to test for heartworms. Yesterday, she starting bleeding from the mouth; today she is bleeding and clots are coming up. She did eat/drink this morning. I live in the Caribbean and we only have vet care on Wednesdays. She has started breathing more rapidly now. Should I stop the antibiotic pills? I'm worried she is suffering and my hands are tied. Please help if you can.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Dog
8/27/2005
Dog Specialist: NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care replied 12 years ago
NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
I am afraid she may be bleeding internally in her stomach rather than from her mouth. If you can see a spot in her mouth that is bleeding try applying ice to it to slow the bleeding and promote clotting.
If she is vomiting blood she may get some help by using a human antacid. Milk of Magnesia, one teaspoonful per five pounds body weight may help orfrom this site
http://www.infovets.com/free/canine/default.asp?page=H/H800.htm
Tagamet (Cimetidine) Tagamet is administered at a dose of 18 mg per 10 lbs., 4 times a day. This means that a 10 lb. dog should receive 0.3 mL (60 mg/mL) of the oral solution, or a 0.12 mL (150 mg/mL) injection. A 50 lb. dog should receive 1/2 of a 200 mg tablet.
Zantac (Ranitidine) Indications for Use: This product, formulated to help prevent ulcers, should be used in animals that are experiencing stress or have digestive tract ulceration.
A dose of 9 mg per 10 lbs., administered three times a day, is recommended. This means that a 10 lb. dog should receive 0.60 mL (15 mg/mL) of the oral solution, or 0.36 mL (25 mg/mL), SQ or IV of the injectable form. A 50 lb. dog should receive about 1/3 of a 150 mg tablet.
If you can get anyone to help you give her subcutaneous fluids or an IV like the vet did (maybe a medical doctor or a emergency paramedic person can help) that might help her.
The rapid breathing is probably from pain and stress. If she is bleeding from an open ulcer or cancer or from having ingested a poison she will probably get very tired as she loses blood and fade away on you.
If she is thirsty and you can get her to drink pedialyte (plain) or Gatoraide or someother electrolyte solution that may also help.
I hope she makes it for you.

NancyH
Just wanted to thank Nancy for helping me; we are giving Sox something similar to Magnesia to see if the blood/clots reduce because she has lost a lot of blood today.
I hope it helps ! I wish you all the best with her!
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Sox is still sick, but the blood/clots have ceased because we gave her a Honduran version of Maalox/Magnesia. I took her back to the vet on Wednesday; she is negative for heartworms. But, she throws all food up (dogfood only). Yesterday, I noticed she threw up the previous day's food because it was different. The vet gave us some gastro pills (package says: Ranitin Vet, 30mg Brovel. Since taking them (2xday), she vomits more. I have stopped giving them to her. Yesterday, I took her off dogfood and cooked chicken breasts in broth, steamed white rice, and added beef baby food. So far, so good. MY QUESTIONS ARE: since she is tolerating my food remedy, should I, and for how long, keep her on what I think are easier to digest foods? Any food is better than none, I thought. Also, was I correct in discontinuing the gastro pills? It's Saturday and a long time until Wednesday again. I belive this Vet, being Honduran, just throws meds at animals and hopes for the best. I also was beginning to think she has some kind of blockage, but we don't give her bones. Any ideas?
You are quite right to do the bland diet that will help her a lot as she needs food to recover.
The ranitin from Brovel is an antacid and should help. But the tablets alone might have been enough to irritate her once swallowed and before they worked. Try one more time after she has held down the food for a little bit. If she vomits again then go back to your maalox drug as that seems to be helping. All animals are different and tolerate different meds as do humans.
This is a long link but it translates the page on the drug from Spanish to English
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.brovel.com.mx/prod_indicet.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbrovel% 2Branitin%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D
If she has been vomiting she might not be passing stool due to nothing being there to pass. If she has passed stool then she is probably not blocked.
See how the bland food goes and if it passes through her ok there is not likely a blockage.
My thoughts are an ulcer or an injury to her intestinal tract are behind this.
Keep her drinking. You can add a little salt to the food you cook for her to make her want to drink even more and help her retain fluids.
If you have any source for childrens vitamins in liquid form see if she can tolerate those or crush up a kids vitamin tablet for her. That might help her heal or might make her sick so don't buy a lot just go slow in giving her vitamins once a day if you can with the bland food.
I am SO glad to hear she has made it this far. I hope she improves for you!
One more problem I forgot to mention because the other problems seemed so severe. She has lost control of her bladder; not always, just sometimes. She'll be walking along and she leaks. Is this a sign of a gastro problem? Should I try to resume the original antibiotics that made her so sick she was coughing up blood?
On the bladder issue I just don't know - could be she is so sick that the bladder tone is just off the or the sphincter valve strained from vomiting. Could be a urinary tract infection too.
If its an issue in the house you can try a disposable diaper just cut a tail hole. Next vet visit check for urinary tract infection or kidney issues.
Could be her whole system is just impacted by whatever is causing the vomiting. Did you find any toxin that might have been the issue? as that could impact kidneys too.
NancyH
NancyH
NancyH