Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

My dog keeps throwing up - is there anything I can give her

Customer Question

She is 8 years old. Was fine last night - threw up this morning. I went to work and when I cam home she had thrown up about 8 times. She acts like she is hungry, but when she drinks water she throws it up.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 12 years ago.

You first need to determine the cause for the vomiting. If your dog has not seen the vet recently for a fecal exam, I would do this first to rule out parasites as the cause. Coccidia and giardia (two protozoan concerns) are also a problem in puppies.

Your vet can recommend some immodium to help with the vomiting but you really need to find the cause before you give him anything.

Until you can see the vet, I suggest that you hold off on food or switch her over to a bland diet of just boiled chicken and white rice in very small amounts.

Most often this is caused by a simple parasite problem or coccidia or giardia. You can find out with a simple fecal exam.

Intestinal obstructions can cause vomiting so you should keep a close eye on this.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: She was just at the vet last month and checked out fine - fecal exam and everything. How do you watch for intestinal obstructions? She is acting fine. I have given her some pediatric electrolytes and she seems to be keeping that down so far. She just went outside and urinated.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 12 years ago.

You really can't tell about an intestinal obstruction from the outside. You just keep an eye on your dog and should see the vet if you see vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, etc, because all of these are symptoms.

I would hold off on food for the next few hours. Then offer her a small bit (1 tsp) of the bland food (chicken and rice mixture) and see if she keeps it down. If she can, offer more at the next feeding.

At this age, you should also talk with your vet about reflux disease. Sometimes an abundance of stomach acid can cause some irritation.