DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience:  Dog Expert
11348

Dog has a swollen rear leg muscle.

Customer Question

I have a Rottie Boxer mix and his left rear "calf" muscle is swollen. I can’t find anything festering or anything broke or misaligned. He doesn’t always limp or keep his leg up but does from time to time.
Category: Dog
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 12 years ago.
 Is the swelling on the long part of the leg or does it involve a joint?
Any heat associated with the swelling? Does the dog seem painful when you push on it?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: It is the long muscle that goes from the theigh to the knee joint. As far as I can remember there is no heat and I have probed fairly hard with out him flenching while I squeze his leg. Unfortunatly he is not here with me now so I can check these symptoms.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 12 years ago.

That is the quads and hamstrings...

Did your dog sustain an injury? Hit by car?  Do you ever see him put weight on the leg?

Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: No, he was not hit by a car and I did not see him get injured. I am thinking he may have twisted it or sprained it while playing ball a few weeks ago. He was fine one day and then the next he was limping and holding his leg up.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 12 years ago.

The tend to get cruciate damage (knee) but I don't usually see swelling of the actual muscle.  The other thing is a luxated hip...and the positioning they hold the leg in might make it look swollen.

You can use a regular strength aspirin (with food to avoid stomach upset) every 8-12 hours for pain...but you probably will need to have a vet take a look at it.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 12 years ago.
What is a luxated hip? I am not sure the first part of you message is clear. Could you please explain further and put more into laymens terms. Thankyou.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 12 years ago.

There are ligaments within the knee that keeps the joint working. Sometimes they rip (football players and skiers get it the most) and require surgery. There is pain in the joint and toe tapping and keeping the leg up.  It is common in bigger breeds like Rotts.

A luxated hip is very painful if you move the leg in a normal movement ...but it is where the hip pops out of joint..usually from an injury.

I just am trying to think of common reasons for hindend lameness. The swelling can come from bites (bee/snake/etc) or injuries but not usually just on the top of the leg...it is usually the foot.

Dr.V