Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Small amount of blood in dogs stool

I have recently noticed that...
I have recently noticed that there is a small amount of
bright red blood, not a lot, a very little bit, in my
three year old pugs stool? It is on the surface of a
hard stool, and is only present at the beginning of it,
meaning it is at end of the part that comes out of him
first. What do you think this might be? It isn't alot,
and it's not all of the time. Please advise.
6/9/2004
DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Fresh blood in the stool is from the colon or rectum. I usually see it with mucous as well. A couple of things come to mind, dietary change/treat/scrap, intestial parasites, rectal strain.
I usually don't get overly concerned unless it is happening frequently or the stool turns black and tarry looking.
Dr.V
DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Thank you for your help. I was thinking it might be something along
those lines but I wasn't sure. Is there anything I can add to his diet that
would help?? He eats alot of vegetables, in fact, he is primarily a
vegetarian as my other pug has allergies that prevent him from heating
"meat" dog foods. I feed them both the same thing. Thank you again for
your help.
Acutally some vegetables are alittle much on the GI tract of a dog and can acutally cause abdominal cramping, and other GI signs.
If you would like please list out a typical mix for me. I am also concerned because there needs to be a good protein base to their food as well as vitamin/calcium component.
Dr.V
The dog food they both eat is Natures Recipe Allergy Vegetarian Formula.

http://www.naturesrecipe.com/pages/dogproducts/allergy/
vegetarian.asp

And in addition, they get vegetarian treats as a "snack" so to speak. Also,
carrots and the ocassional slice of banana. On ocassion I will cook them
plain chicken to eat as a meat supplement, but that is not often. And
once a month I give them a multi-vitamen. Of course there are the
ocassional "other things" they get their paws on because of family
members, which I try to control, but what I listed above is the typical
usual diet of both of my pugs.
Well, I am glad to see you are using a formulated vegetarian diet and not just corn and potatos! Allergy based problems can occ.lead to fresh blood in the stool. It may occur up to 24-36 hours after the intestinal insult, (ie the stray Cheeto or PB &J). It appears you are doing the best you can and as long as you are not getting a complete breakdown of diarrhea and vomiting, I don't know if I would change anything.
Best of luck,
Dr.V
Thank you very much for your advice. You made me feel better. I will
continue doing what I am doing and if things persist or get worse I will
take him to the vet.
DanaDVM
DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team