I forgot to ask for food recommendations for her. That is fine, but if she is not available, I could chat with someone

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Second Opinion] JA: I'm so happy you had a good experience with petdrz! Do you have any follow-up questions about your cat or would you like a second opinion on anything? It's included! Customer: Yes, I forgot to ask for food recommendations for her. JA: Let me get you an Expert to help with that. Would you prefer to chat with petdrz again? Customer: That is fine, but if she is not available, I could chat with someone else.
Answered by Abbett Hudson in 11 mins 10 months ago
imglogo
Abbett Hudson
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi, I'm Dr. A., thank you for reaching out to just answer today. I am happy to assist. Please give me a few moments to review the information you have provided.

Please be aware I am a licensed veterinarian, but since I am not actually examining your animal, I cannot legally provide you with any specific diagnosis or prescribe medication. I can only speak in general terms about what might be happening and help you determine if/when you need to seek medical attention.

How old is your cat?

Does she have any issues that are being treated right now?

Customer
Hello. She was a stray I adopted from the shelter and she is estimated to be 10 years old. She is in good health now. My question is not really a second opinion (but I couldnt get the bot to understand what I was asking). I am looking for recommendations about her food. She is not at all active, indoors only and weights about 9 pounds. The vet who checked her over thought she could stand to gain a little more weight, but not much. She is a medium hair cat and has dry skin. She would eat all day if I let her. She is food-insecure from being underfed for however long she was a stray. Thank you for any assistance.
Customer
hello?
Customer
I'm wondering if we are still chatting? Can you please respond or let me know when I might expect a response? Thank you

Hey, I'm sorry for the delay. I did not see the notification when you responded.

What food are you feeding her now?

For a healthy cat like her there really isn't any special food she will need. Whatever you feed her, make sure that there is an AAFCO statement somewhere near the ingredient list. The state will say that the food has either had feeding trials or is formulated to meet the needs of whatever age group of animals the food is labeled for. The foods that have been through the trials is best, ***** ***** formulated ones are good as well. Avoid any foods that don't have an AAFCO statement.

If you are only concerned with trying to get her to gain a little weight, then I would recommend feeding the food she is used to just up the amount by 25-30%.

If she still isn't gaining or is losing weight, then get a food designed for elderly animals or a puppy food.

Customer
Wellness canned food, 1 5oz can divided into morning and night. I also give her 2 tbs. of Pure Vita Chicken and peas dry food mid-day. She always acts hungry. Does it sound like I am giving her enough food?

You could try giving a whole can twice daily to see how she responds to that.

How much food to feed is a very individual thing, it depends on the animals metabolism, exercise, etc.. I always recommend people going by how the pet looks.

If she is too skinny then try feeding more, if they gain too much weight cut back on the amount.

Customer
Ok. Thank you for your help.

I will say that if she is always hungry and is staying very thin, you might want to have her thyroid checked to make sure it is normal. Hyperthyroid can cause increased hunger and weight loss.

You're welcome!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Abbett Hudson
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Abbett Hudson
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.