Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat looks like she’s getting “dead legs”. Over the last

Hi there, my cat looks like she’s getting “dead legs”. Over the last month I’ve noticed about 3-4 times that when she stands from taking a nap that she falls over, or lips on her right back leg and after stretching and sitting there for a couple minutes she is totally fine. I haven’t noticed any other changes in her behavior or look.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Do the cat's eyes move from side to side? Or do they stay focused straight ahead?
Customer: Focused, she is actually completely fine besides occasionally losing control of that leg for a short period of time she is 6-7 years old
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: She is indoor only, and no
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Magpie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no, I’m just trying to work out if this is something I need to immediately take her in for, or if it’s even possibly for a cat’s leg to just fall asleep thank you

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

does she have any arthritis?

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Good morning Terri, she does not have arthritis or any other diagnosed conditions that we know of

so are you saying she suddenly loses the strength in her legs and falls over?

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
I've noticed this happen about 3-4 times recently: when she gets up from a nap she stands and it appears like one of her legs has fallen asleep, she falls over, then after a minute of sitting there she gets up and is totally fine
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
It never looks like both legs, and I've never seen it happen other than after she has laid down for a while

I do not think this is a cause for concern...as cats age, they need a joint supplement like cosequin daily.

If she eats dry food, it is mostly carbs which cats do not digest properly so feed more canned food than dry.

She may have low potassium which causes muscle weakness.

Give her a tablespoon of V8 vegetable juice every day with a dropper to keep her potassium stable.

HAVE her vet check for an ear infection which can cause a disturbance to her equilibrium and affect her legs

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.Kind regards,

Terri

can you see answer?

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Thank you Terri! I really appreciate your time

it was my pleasure to help such a wonderful person

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Liked “it was my pleasure to help such a wonderful person”

PURRFECT

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Haha thank you

MY PLEASURE