Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat got outside, he has been out in the past but he never…

Customer Question
my cat got outside, he...
my cat got outside, he has been out in the past but he never wants to come back inside. we have trapped him the last few times. this time it looks like he does want to come in, as he walks to the front door, by the backdoor, etc.whats the best way to get him inside
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat
5/30/2018
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Do you already have other cats or pets indoors?

Can you tell me his history? Was he ever just an outdoor cat?

Is he neutered?

He is almost 2 years. I have another cat indoors. He has escaped about 4 times for a month at a time. I try to keep him inside but he wants to go outside so I may have to let him. But he won’t come back. Because I think he thinks we won’t let him out again. Or maybe he doesn’t want to? But he seems so happy!!

Is he neutered?​

No. He was not.
he is neutered
F2 Savannah cat

Many cats like the freedom of being able to roam outdoors. Certainly, an F2 savannah is not too far from its genetic wild ancestors and may have more propensity to want to explore. I would not, however, permit you cat outdoors if it can be avoided. Not only is disease transmission a large issue but injury is quite possible, as well. Instead, you may want to consider a catio that is accessible by a window or similar access point which will give him the benefit of being outdoors but also permit safety of not going where he pleases. With him being a purebred he is at much higher risk of being picked up or stolen, as well.

As far as getting him back indoors you may need to trap him again. You can also put your other cat in an enclosed room and leave the door he's accessing wide open. This will permit him to come and go. Eventually, once trust is established, you'll want to close the door so he's inside again. To keep him inside you're going to have to set a boundary with him and give him only access to safe areas. Permitting him to make his own decisions for the both of you may be folly. You can also increase his interest in things to do inside from mechanical self-play laser light toys to feather teasers with motorized mechanics to even purchasing small goldfish and putting them in a large bowl of water (or the bath tub) occasionally, permitting him to hunt.

If you must allow him access outdoors I would be absolutely sure that he's vaccinated against feline leukemia annually and tested often for feline aids and feline leukemia. You will also want him wearing visible tags and to have him microchipped in the event that he's lost, picked up by animal control or stolen. This will make it possible for you to prove ownership and, hopefully, to get him back if he winds up in someone else's hands.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

A pleasant good morning to you, JACustomer. Checking in with you today to see how your companion is doing. Will you provide me with an update and any additional questions you might have? If you are finished with our chat and do not need any additional help, please take the time to rate our discussion before signing off. I am not compensated by the website until this is completed.