Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My 1 year old cat began sneezing out of the blue. I did not…

My 1 year old...

My 1 year old cat began sneezing out of the blue. I did not observe any other symptoms.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Oakley, is his name and he is an indoor cat. He is allowed on the screened patio in good weather here in Florida.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oakley?

I adopted him and his mother as strays but he was treated at the verternarian clinic prior to adoption. He did come down with herpes virus after staying at the clinic following neutering, but was successfully treated for it 6 months ago with no other problems until this recent sneezing developed.

Oakley is a healthy male rag tail Siamese that weighs maybe 8 lbs. he hasn’t been back for any treatments at our veterinary clinic since his treatment for the herpes virus months ago. Just need to know if he needs to go for sneezing occasionally now. He is still eating and drinking and playing at this time.
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/25/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

was Qakey out on the patio just before he stared sneezing?

I am sorry you are concerned about Oakley. Herpes is a virus that can never be actually cured but we can control it and prevent outbreaks with l lysine.

I suggest you get lysine gel or chews and give Oakley and any other cat you have in the house 250 mg every day to to prevent sneezing,

http://www.entirelypets.com/cat-lysine.html

http://www.calvetsupply.com/product/Optixcare_L_Lysine_Soft_Chews_60_Chews/Cat_Treats_an

Other than that you do not need to worry about Oakley.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.Kind regards,

Terri

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Thank you, ***** ***** your advice. Oakley was on the patio yesterday for a bit and also the day before. I will get the lysine. Again thanks.

you are more than welcome. it is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.

I am also in Florida where allergic reactions are common. It is possible Oakleuy reacted to newly mowed gras or pollen BUT lysine is harmless and will prevent sneezing.

Thanks so much for your rating.

There is NO FURTHER charge so please feel free to reply anytime,

Thank you for your help with Oakley!
My pleasure keep me posted