Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

She's vomited 3 times since yesterday after, twice was

She's vomited 3 times...

She's vomited 3 times since yesterday after, twice was greenish bile. She hasn't eaten since yesterday morning. Drank a little water last night and today. Had a bowel movement yesterday, and urinated yesterday and once today. She just seems like she wants to just lay down a lot. She was fine yesterday morning. We went away for a few hours and returned to this. I'm not sure what to do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Oh sorry. That would probably help. She's a 12 yr old long haired cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Not that I can think of. I don't believe she's gotten into anything. Like I said it just seems to have come on suddenly. She walked around the house some tonight, but would just find a nice spot and lie down for 20 minutes or so, then get up and move to another spot. The stomach gurgling just started about half hour ago

4/24/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

what did she eat just before she threw up?

Her normal breakfast, a can of Friskies wet cat food and some Whiskas cat treats. It was a least 3-4 hours prior to her throwing up

thanks for your very helpful reply. please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer

She ate about 8:30 Sunday morning. We left about 11:20 and did not return until about 5. Sometime in between is when she threw up. I went to bed about 2-3 hours ago and she was drinking some water. Woke up a few minutes ago to use the restroom and she woke up also and drank a little more water. Not much, just a few laps

You may have gotten a bad can, its happened to me!

Discard that can and any with the same lot number,

Rub a drop of honey or syrup into her gums to raise her blood sugar.

Give her one quarter of a ten mg pepcid AC every 12 hours. wait 30 minutes and offer smooth, pate canned food.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a dish. let her lap it up for hydration and to replace her electrolytes.

Please write back and let me know how she is doing.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Kind regards,

Terri

Hi there. I gave her a few drops of tuna juice and she threw it up within about 1-2 minutes

did you give her pepsid first?

No. I don't have any

she needs it to settle her stomach.

go to any drug store and get pepcid AC 10 mg, famotidine.

give her one quarter of a ten mg pill

Sorry I'm driving. Is it just regular Pepcid? I'll have to get it after work unfortunately

yes, regular pepcid for people, also called famotidine

get ten mg pills and cut into 4 pieces. give her one piece every 12 hours

I will do so as soon as I get home! Thank you.

let me know how she is later

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Just wanted to say thank you. I ended up taking her in to see the vet. After some blood work, etc, she's very dehydrated. They're keeping her for 24 hours on IV fluid and nausea meds. They took an xray and said it looked almost like sand in the stomach and intestine (she's so weird that maybe she ate some of her litter!) We'll see how she's doing when I get off work tomorrow. Thanks again for your responses. It is greatly appreciated

Awww, the poor baby! please keep me updated on her recovery.

Best wishes for her,

Terri

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri