Ok so I thought my cat was pregnant but now I'm beginning to wonder? She has a vaginal discharge and it smells terrible.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Ok so I thought my cat was pregnant but now I'm beginning to wonder? She has a vaginal discharge and it smells terrible. Her stomach is huge and distended. No kittens tho. I'm confused
JA: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your kitten?
Customer: No she was perfectly healthy before. I thought she was pregnant and her water bag broke but she never had the kittens yet.
Answered by Dr. Gabby in 2 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Gabby
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I​t sounds like she may have "pyometra" which is a uterine infection. That can cause the a very bad odor vaginal drainage. The treatment would be antibiotics and to have her spayed to remove the infected uterus.

Customer
I was thinking that. Should I take her to the vet how soon?

I​t is also possible that she was pregnant, but she did not go into labor, or maybe a kitten was too large to fit through the birth canal, so there are deceased kittens in her. Sorry, I know that is morbid. But that would also cause abdominal distention and bad vaginal drainage.

Is she acting ill? Is she active and eating and drinking? How long has she had the drainage?

Sorry, I can not call right now. That box automatically pops up.

Customer
Ok hmm. No she has been quiet and laying around not eating and not drinking much. I feel bad for her. I don't know if our vet clinic is open. We live in a small town.

The sooner you take her the better. If her uterus is infected, it can rupture and then the infection can spill into her abdominal cavity. That will be the end. The emergency clinic, that is open all night, is a bit pricey though. You could take her in and at least get her started on antibiotics. www.carecredit.com can provide financing and most veterinary ER clinics take care credit.

Call your vets number and see if there is a vet on call. There would be an answering service or a number to call if there is an emergency.

Otherwise, you are going to have to drive her to a city where there is an emergency clinic.

It is a bit tough to say if she can hold out until Monday.

Customer
I do have care credit. I will try and do that. Thank you Dr. Gabby! You have been a big help. I appreciate it.

That is wonderful. I am so glad you have care credit already.

I have done countless pyometra surgeries and as long as I get the patient on the table before the uterus has ruptured they have all turned out very well. : )

Glad to help. You are very welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Customer
Dr. Gabby, I did take my cat to the Vet on Sunday. The vet said she was indeed pregnant but said the same thing you did. One of the kittens got stuck or something and they all died and then she got sick and infected from it. Unfortunately I had to have her put down. That was so tough. I cried so hard. Thanks for your advice and support Dr. Gabby! I appreciate you following up with me. - Tashia Birkholtz
Read less
unlike
1 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Gabby
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Gabby
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.