Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat had an enema a week ago and he still has no appetite.

Customer Question
My cat had an...

My cat had an enema a week ago and he still has no appetite

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?

He was constipated and the vet did the enema and I took him home. He has been taking his medication and laxative. But no stool in the litter box just pee

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your cat's name and age?

Hank he is 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hank?

No a full blood screen was done about 2 months ago and everything was normal

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat
4/3/2018
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 3 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with a reply, shortly.

Hello, again.

I'm so sorry Hank is having this problem.

I have just a few questions to ask you, before sending an answer.

After the enema at the vet's, did Hank defecate immediately, or at home?

What food does Hank eat? (Brand and dry and/or canned)

Is he eating at all?

Does he seem to have pain in his belly when you apply a little pressure to the area?

Is it possible he ingested something he shouldn't have, like a piece of a toy or any other non-food item, or got into the trash, got something off the counter, etc.?

For how long was he constipated, before the vet gave him the enema?

What medication and what laxative were prescribed?

Thank you for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me a short while to read through it, compose and send your answer.

Hi again,

How is Hank doing, today? I hope you saw some stool in the box last night or today.

I never heard back from you last night with the reply to my questions, so I will just send you my thoughts and suggestions.

First, make sure he's drinking a lot of water. I'm assuming his vet put him on an appetite stimulant like Mirtazapine or another one, and the other medication may be to stimulate movement in his intestinal tract.

You can feed him a bland diet of plain, boneless, boiled, skinless chicken breast pulsed in a food processor or get some plain, jarred baby food chicken (for infants) containing NO onions or garlic products. You can water it down and feed it from the side of his mouth with a pet/children's medicine syringe or plastic eye dropper. Squeeze in a little bit at a time, and wait for a swallow; you can gently rub his throat to encourage the swallow reflex.

If you didn't come home with any Science diet a/d smooth, digestible canned food, from the vet, you can try that, too. It's very palatable to cats and you can offer each food I suggested, to him first, in his bowl (very small amounts), then, if he's not interested, offer from your palm or finger and as a last resort, water it down slightly and try the syringe or dropper--always from the side of the mouth, never from the front.

You can also buy a produce called Nutri-Cal for cats, which comes in a tube and is a paste that is palatable to cats and contains mainly sugars (if he's not diabetic) and proteins for energy. All major pet supply stores carry it.

If he's still not eating on his own and hasn't had a b.m. after having some food (it could take a few days for his system to regulate itself, if he does eat), call your vet to report this and see what further can be done.

I hope all will be well with Hank and please let me know how he's coming along. Thanks!

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Warmest wishes,

Cher